I’m worried about someone’s safety

If you think someone you know is dealing with instances of bullying, harassment or violence there are lots of ways in which you can help them.

We encourage everyone to SEE IT, SAY IT, ACT ON IT when dealing with instances of bullying, harassment and violence.

Disclosures can come in many forms; it could be something said jokingly, a story that someone starts to tell then stops and says it doesn't matter, or it could be a question.  You are not expected to be a professional counsellor; however how someone responds to a first disclosure can be really important. It can take time for a person to decide what they want to do and how they want to move forward.  



  • Are they in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).
  • Find a safe space. If an incident has just happened try and find somewhere they feel safe. If this isn’t possible and you are scared or fearful they can call campus security on 01970 622900.
  • Is it unacceptable behaviour? It might be useful to think about various definitions of unacceptable behaviours and how these behaviours are described. You can find various definitions of unacceptable behaviour on our Definitions page.


  • Give options. When they have finished talking ask them if they are okay to talk through some options and next steps.
  • Student Support and Careers Service. An advisor can talk through the University’s procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence.
  • AberSU Advice Service. This is a free confidential and impartial Service, where an advisor can talk through what options are available and support you through any University procedures. This support includes checking draft complaints and attending any meetings with the University.


  • Students can reports an incident using the University’s Reporting system. You can choose to do this anonymously, as third party or by identifying yourself. If you provide us with your details you can choose to talk to an advisor who will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence.
  • University Procedures. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University about a student or member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you’ll need to follow.
  • Find out what support is available.
  • In cases of sexual assault Rape Crisis provides further information on supporting a survivor of sexual assault.

And where appropriate:

  • Reporting to the police.
  • Reporting the incident anonymously. You can call crime stoppers at any point on 0800 555 111 or use their online form.