What support is available

If you think you or someone you know has experienced instances of bullying, harassment or violence there is a variety of support options available.


University and Students’ Union Support

  • Student Support and Careers Service. An advisor can talk through the University’s procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence.
  • AberSU Advice Service. This is a free confidential and impartial service where an advisor can talk through what options are available and support you through any University procedures. This support includes checking draft complaints and attending any meetings with the University.


Other Sources of support

  • New Pathways provides a range of specialist counselling and advocacy services for survivors of rape or sexual abuse. They also operate a Sexual Assault Referral Centre from which recent victims of rape or sexual assault can receive immediate help and support.
  • Family Lives provides some information and advice on bullying at University.
  • Citizens Advice provides some useful information on the different types of harassment and hate crime people may experience including disability hate crime, racist and religious hate crime, sexual harassment, and sexual orientation and transgender identity hate crime.
  • West Wales Domestic Abuse Service provides a range of support services to those experiencing or affected by domestic abuse.
  • True Vision offers guidance on reporting hate crime and hate incidents. If you do not wish to talk to anyone in person about the incident or with to remain anonymous, there is an online form for reporting hate crime; you can report non-crime hate incidents to the police to try and prevent any escalation in seriousness.
  • Tell MAMA supports victims of anti-Muslim hate and is a public service which also measures and monitors anti-Muslim incidents.
  • Community Security Trust (CS) helps those who are victims of anti-Semitic hatred, harassment or bias.
  • Galop is a charity that supports lesbian, gay, bi, trans and queer people affected by sexual violence.
  • Welsh Women’s Aid is the national charity in Wales working to end domestic abuse and all forms of violence against women.
  • The National Stalking Helpline can give you information on advice on support and options available to you.
  • MALE is an advice line for male victims of domestic abuse.
  • Stonewall Cymru campaigns for the equality of lesbian, gay, bi and trans people across Britain providing help and advice for LGBT communities and their allies.
  • Scope provide practical and emotion support to ensure all disabled people enjoy equality and fairness.
  • Neighbourhood Policing Teams. The Dyfed Powys Police website provides a list of Neighbourhood Policing Teams by each area of Aberystwyth, with whom you can contact and/or arrange a visit.
  • Victim Support. When you report a crime to the police, they should automatically ask you if you would like help from an organisation like Victim Support But anyone affected by crime can contact them directly – you don’t need to talk to the police to get Victim Support help.

If you would like to submit information on a support service you think might help others email union.advice@aber.ac.uk.