Varsity is coming home to Aber after 2 years away…
Are you ready?
This year’s Varsity will take place on Saturday 25th March 2017 in various venues across Aberystwyth. The tournament sees hundreds of students from over 30 sports teams and societies compete for the Aber vs Bangor Varsity Trophy. Aber will be looking to reclaim the Trophy after 2 consecutive loses away to Bangor in 2015 and 2016… No pressure #UnleashTheDragon
Not an avid sports fan or follow a particular interest? The Aber vs Bangor Varsity competition is a great way to get involved and become part of Team Aber even if you don’t know tipoff from your pushback. The atmosphere on the day is something that you should NOT miss, with thousands of students supporting and cheering for the two different sides.
This year’s event will be held in support of AberSU’s #StefansSocks campaign for mental-health awareness.
Interested in getting involved? Here is some key information.
- Varsity Stash Packs are available to order online now and to buy from AberSU from Thursday 9th March.
- Fixtures will be kicking off from 10am on the day and running until 7pm. The confirmed schedule to be released on AberSU website shortly
- A shuttle bus, provided by Mid Wales Travel, will be running on a circular route around our venues every 30 minutes throughout the day starting at 11am
- Winners presentation will take place following AberDance’s event in the Great Hall of the Arts Centre. Doors will open from 5pm where you can show your support for AberDance, with the presentation ceremony starting at 6.30pm.
- There will be an Aftermath Party held at the Students’ Union from 8pm to celebrate our wins and drown our sorrows for any losses
For further information and live updates please like our Facebook page and click attending on the event.
This year’s Varsity bundle will consist of:
- Foam finger
- A pair of Stefan’s Socks
With a contribution of each bundle going towards MIND Aberystwyth
The packs are available to order online here and to buy from AberSU from Thursday 9th March.
The kit launch will be happening on March 9th to commemorate the years passing of Stefan Osgood, much loved and well-remembered team member. There will be memorial activity throughout the day where we can all remember Stefan, share memories and celebrate his life in true TeamAber spirit. Please share a memory or take a moment of remembrance when buying your kit on this day.
To make Aftermath as awesome as possible the AberSU have teamed up with AberUni to put on an amazing Varsity themed Bierkeller (Varsity-keller). This has never been done for an Aftermath before so there is lots to be excited about. Tickets will be sold on a first come first served basis to Varsity competitors with a 50% discount on production of a Varsity wristband (bought from the stash bundle from Thursday 9th March) and will then go on general sale on Monday 13th March.
If you are not taking part in the competition, why not get involved with the behind the scenes action by volunteering. If you are interested in volunteering please contact Jasmine on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.