Every club and society have three core committee members: President, Secretary and Treasurer. In addition to these core roles many groups have a range of additional roles. Here you can find out more information about what it means to be a Social Secretary of a student group…
Role: Social Secretary
Commitment/Duration: Elected position for up to one academic year
Previous experience required: Absolutely none; all training will be provided.
Purpose of role
The role of a Social Secretary is to organise well run, fun social events. Their role is important because socials allow members to get to know each other better, enjoy themselves more…and ultimately build greater commitment to your Club/Society.
- Effectively running, organisation and communicating regular social activities, both drinking and non-drinking
- This includes working with other committee members. For example, the treasurer when budgeting, the secretary when room booking or the president when preparing risk assessments
- Safety of members while on social activities until the official end of the social
- Collaborating with other student groups where beneficial
- Leading in the organisation of sponsorships for the club/society from external companies/organisations
- Leading in the organising of social wear for the club/society (e.g. shirts, hoodies, etc.)
- Attend an induction and additional training delivered by the SU
How you will benefit
This is your opportunity to perform a leading role in a Club or Society that you love, to help develop it to make sure it is the best it can be. In doing this you will get to meet and work with other like-minded students, as well as develop the skills, knowledge and all-round employability of yourself and your members through a variety of opportunities.
By being a committee member, you also gain recognition for your volunteer hours and skills by working towards the Aber Award. You will also have the chance to be nominated for an award as part of the Sports or Societies Awards.
Why we want YOU!
We want Aber students to love student life and be ready for anything. In order to achieve this, we promise to provide you with opportunities to find your Aber Community, support you to be happy and healthy, and help to grow your skills and experiences. Team Aber encompasses so much of this, so if you are passionate about your Club/Society, we want to work with you to make this vision a reality. There is no better way to do this than being elected to a committee. By becoming a committee member, you will have been elected as the best person to fulfil your chosen role.
Got any questions?
Contact a member of the Opportunities Team:
Societies Development Coordinator – Tom (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Sports Coordinator – Emily (email@example.com)
Please note the responsibilities of each role can vary across each club and society. Please see their individual constitution on their webpage, or contact a member of the current committee.
|Opens 10am Monday 15th March to 10am Monday 19th April 2021
||Voting will begin at 10am on Monday 26th April to 3pm Friday 30th April 2021