With support every step of the way, we are always keen for new societies to join the Team Aber Community.
To get started check out the video and information below...
Being an Aber SU society means you can make the most of the following benefits:
- An annual slot at the SU Fresher’s Fair
- A customisable webpage on www.abersu.co.uk and an individual @aber.ac.uk email address to directly communicate with the student body
- Full time sabbatical officer and staff support
- Financial support for the group e.g. termly grants, prize draws, national competitions etc.
- Funding towards training development opportunities for society individuals, through the Coach Education Fund e.g. coaching qualifications, conferences, etc.
- Access to campus-wide publicity for your society’s activities
- Advice and support with organising events, which companies to use, etc.
- Volunteer recognition and reward through the Aber Award
- Accredited training opportunities and funding towards external ones, e.g. first aid
- Access to Union facilities and minibus hire
- Among many other perks!
Complete the “New Club/Society” form on the Team Aber Resource Hub. The form asks you to explain what your society will be about, include at least 10 individuals who will be interested in joining your society, and list at least the three core committee members (President, Secretary and Treasurer).
The Opportunities Team will then review your application. We will check the suitability for your society to ensure that:
- It does not replicate an existing society
- It does not propose any reputation risk to the Union, and the wider community
- Its primary aims are for the benefit of Aberystwyth University students
Once reviewed we will contact you with the outcome within two weeks.
Once approved, we will work with you to create your core documents:
- Code of conduct
- Risk Assessment
- Equipment List
At the same time, we will be creating your club/society assets:
- Club/society Email
- Finance Account
- Microsoft Teams
Complete the Committee Training. This is to train you up and provide you with everything you need to know about running a society and utilising your society assets.
Once you have completed the training you are set to go!
You can start by:
- Advertising who you are and begin attracting members
- Booking Union/Uni facilities
- Applying for a starting grant
- Reaching out for sponsorships
For anything related to running a student group, check out the Team Aber Resource Hub or contact your relevant coordinator!
Societies come and go; this is your chance to adopt one of our vacant societies and bring it new life!
If you're interested in adopting one of these societies, contact your Student Opportunities Officer (email@example.com) or visit us in the Opportunities Office
- Aber Macmillan
- Anglican Society (AngSoc)
- Anything Goes Society
- British Film and Television
- Card Society
- Chinese Culture Society
- Circus Society
- Education Society
- Fimmaking Society
- Food Co-op
- French Society
- German Society
- Global Students Society
- Labour Society
- Live Music Society
- Marie Curie
- Methodist Society
- Paintball Society
- Paranormal Society (Aberpara)
- Poker Society
- Real Ale
- Sustainability Society
- Travel & Tourism Society
- Union & Liberty
- Yes Myfyrwyr
- Vegetarian & Vegan Society (VegSoc)