We are the English and Creative Writing Society!
Academic Society of the Year Winner 2021
Academic Society of the Year Nominee 2023
We're a multi award-winning society that holds fun and exciting events ranging from our weekly Book & Cake evenings to pub crawls, coffee crawls, writing workshops, book clubs, interviews with published authors and poets, charity fundraisers, open mic nights, collaborations with other societies, and more!
Whether you're an English Literature student with a passion for books, a Physics student who loves to write, or just eager to make new friends over a slice of cake: there is room for everyone in ECWS. Our society is open to all, not just those studying in the English Department!
The English and Creative Writing Society (ECWS) is dedicated to the inclusion and acceptance of all members regardless of age, race, ethnicity, ability, culture or nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religious affiliation, socioeconomic status, and marital status.
In this society, we are very proud of the great diversity amongst both our members and our committee. We believe that establishing a sincere sense of safety and inclusivity at all our events is of paramount importance.
As a reflection of this, our code of conduct is simple: we have a zero-tolerance policy for bullying or harassment of any kind. Racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, and other forms of bigotry or discrimination are not permitted at our events. Such behaviour will result in disciplinary actions.
If you have any questions, head over to one of our social media accounts (linked below) and send us a message! Or, shoot us an email at email@example.com.
If you have an interest in books and literature, or simply wish to meet new people – join us now! We're sure, you won't be disappointed!
Examples of our events:
- Book and Bake
- Twice a month, we meet in the SU to eat cake and recommend books according to a particular theme.
- Writers' Workshop
- Workshop your work (poetry, prose, assignments) with your peers every week!
- Sober and Drinking Socials
- We hold one sober and one drinking social each month. Ranging from open mic nights to bookshop/coffee crawls, writing events to pub quizzes, there's something for everyone, and we always try to involve our members in the planning of our socials!
- Once a semester, we publish an anthology of creative writing (poetry and prose), all written and submitted by our members. See digitised versions from previous years below:
Previous AberInk Issues
Core Documents 2023/2024