AberSU FAQ's


Q: What Sport are you showing today?
A: All our sport listings are available online at, keep an eye on our website for big sporting events and offers!
Q: Do you have BT Sport?
A: Yes! The Cwtch Bar has both Sky Sports HD and BT Sport HD! The Picture House only has Freeview, but this is something we hope to improve soon!
Q: What Allergens do the food served in the Union contain?
A: Allergen information for Stone Willy’s pizza can be found online at, all other outlets carry this information and our staff are trained to be able to help you with your requirements. If you have any concerns, please ask at the outlet to speak with a Supervisor who will be happy to assist you further.
Q: Can we choose the Music in the bar?
A: Yes! Download the SubTV app from the App Store or Google Play Store, input the code displayed on our screens and you can add your choice to the playlist!
Q: How much are the pool tables?
A: 60p per game, or two games for £1!
Q: What ID do you accept?
A: Passports, Drivers Licences (including Provisionals) and cards carrying the PASS logo.
Q: Where does the money I spend in the Union go?
A: Everything you spend in the Union, be it at the Bar, The Union Shop, Starbucks, Stone Willy’s or Briwsion, goes right back into the Union and supporting you!
Q: Where can I find out about when events are happening?
A: Take a look at for our upcoming entertainments program!
Q: I left my jacket in the cloakroom last night, how can I collect it?
A: The cloakroom will be open on the evening of and during events. Otherwise, please talk to reception - 01970 621700.
Q: I left my wallet/coat/phone in the Union, where is lost property?
A: Any Lost Property will be sent to Reception where you can collect it from. If Reception cannot find your item, try asking the staff behind the bar.


Q: What is an All Student Vote?
A: An All Student Vote is when every member of the Students’ Union is asked to vote on a particular issue to decide students’ union policy or an action that the Students’ Union should take.
Q: When will an All Student Vote take place?
A: All Student Votes take place either if the Students’ Union council votes to send an idea to an All Student Vote because they feel that the whole student body should have its say on a particular issue or if a student when submitting their idea to debate at the students union chooses for it to go directly to a student vote. This vote will then take place under the timetables set out in the constitution in Schedule 1.4 which can be viewed at The union will endeavour to ensure that All Student Votes will take place at times when the student body are most likely to be able to give their full attention to the debate but this may not always be possible.
Q: What can be changed at All Student Vote?
A: An idea can be decided by All Student Vote and additionally elected student officers and trustees can be ‘no confidenced’ by All Student Vote. The union’s constitution and its schedules can only be changed at Students’ Union Council.
Q: Can the student Officers show support for a campaign?
Any elected student officer may campaign for or against a referendum to be passed. Student officers are elected and paid to be political, it’s their job to take a view on issues! Student officers cannot use the resources only available to them as elected officers as part of their campaigning during All Student Votes.
Q: How many must vote for an All Student Vote to be ‘valid’?
A: If an idea has been sent to an All Student Vote by the Students’ Union Council, then 250 students need to take part in our all student vote for it to be valid. If a student has chosen to send their idea directly to an All Student Vote, 500 students must then vote for the idea to be valid.
Q: Who is the Returning Officer?
A: The Returning Officer is an independent individual approved by the Students’ Union board of Trustees annually to ensure that the process of the Officer Elections and All Student Votes are carried out correctly and fairly. This process is supported by an elections committee made up of appointed student volunteers.
Q: Is there a Yes / No Campaign?
A: Any student may request to be the ‘agent’ or leader of the campaigns for a yes or no vote. This is decided on a first come, first serve basis. Campaigning is down to the individuals involved to try and get out the message to students in the way that they best think is possible. The union will provide a £50 budget to both campaigns to ensure that no student has to go without an opportunity to make their voices heard. What other platforms/ processes can students take to bring their ideas? Any student can submit an idea to union council to be debated by union council. This can be done by sending your idea to
Q: How do I become an Officer?
A: To become a full time or part time officer you must be elected by the student body. To find out more and details of when the next elections are happening, check out the web pages here.
Q: Are the full time officers paid?
A: Yes! If elected, the officers dedicate a whole year to working for the student body – and they’ve got to have somewhere to live and to eat, so they get paid a monthly salary.


Q: I’ve tried to pay for something and the money has come out of my account, but the transaction failed, what do I do and how do I get my money back?
A: This is what’s called a ‘Shadow Payment’. Don’t panic – the money will return to your account soon. The full explanation can be found here.
Q: I need to pay my student fees do I go to the Finance Office in the SU?
A: No, you should visit The Finance Office in the Student Welcome centre on Penglais Campus.
Q: Where do I get club and society sponsorship forms from?
A: From the Finance Office.

General Queries

Q: Where is the Union?
A: We are right next to Arts Centre on Penglais campus. Take a look at google maps here.
Q: Where do I collect my Aber Card?
A: You can collect your Aber Card from the Hugh Owen Library.
Q: How do I join a sports team or society?
A: We have a wide range of activities that you can easily join and participate in. Before you join a sport you will need to purchase a Sporty Card online Once you have purchased a sporty card, you must then wait 24 hours before purchasing any club memberships as this is how long the system usually takes to update. Then, you can join a Sports club online. Before join a society you will need to purchase an Aber Soc Card here You don’t need to wait before going on to purchase your Society memberships then which you can do here
Q: I purchased my Sporty Card a while ago and still can’t buy membership to clubs online, why?
A: This could be for a number of reasons. The most common one is to do with those students who have purchased the Sporty Cards in person via the Sports Centre. This means that there could be a delay of up to a week (in some extreme cases more) for the membership to reach the Students’ Union system. The easiest way to avoid this is to purchase your Sporty Card membership online. If you are having trouble with this, please contact the sports centre:
Q: I purchased my AberSoc card a while ago and still can’t buy membership to societies, why?
A: A common mistake is buying memberships while logged in to our website on a friend's account. If this happens, or if you think you have purchased membership but it is not showing online, please contact for us to investigate.
Q: I’m feeling distressed and need to speak to someone tonight. Who can I talk to?
A: If you're worried, upset or stressed you can contact Nightline. For more information please see: Nightline is open from 8pm-8am and is a student-led, confidential listening service which offers emotional support and information for students in Aberystwyth.
Q: Where can I register with a GP or dentist?
A: Please see the updated list of GP surgeries on our Advice pages here. For Dentists surgeries in Aberystwyth, please see the NHS website.
Q: Why don't the SU emails come at the same time?
i.e. why is there a noticeable delay between getting the Welsh and English versions as they should get sent either in the same email or simultaneously to abide by the bilingualism policy? A: They are sent at the same time, with the Welsh going first as stated in our bilingualism policy. The delay is simply due to the high number of recipients of the email. Most are sent in separate emails to make it easier to read, and ensure that the information is clear.
Q: I want to contact someone in the Union about something specific but I don’t know who, what do I do?
A: In the first instance, you can visit our welcome team on reception, or send them an email on This will then be forwarded to the relevant person/s in the union.


Q: When is Reception open?
A: Reception hours are between Monday-Thursday: 9.30am-5pm and Friday: 9:30am-4:30pm.
Q: Where can I purchase a Mid Wales Travel Bus Pass?
A: Mid Wales Travel bus passes can be purchased at Reception or online. Online purchases will need to be collected at Reception. On arrival, please bring your Aber Card.
Q: Where can I purchase my NUS Extra card?
A: You can purchase your NUS Extra card at Reception during work hours. You can also purchase your card at You can have the card delivered to Reception (please show your AberCard upon collection) or sent to your preferred address.

Room Bookings

Q: Can we book one of the rooms in the Union?
A: Of course! The Main Room, Picture House, Committee Room and Meeting Room are available for use by our Sports Clubs and Societies during evenings and weekends, whenever there are no pre-booked events requiring their use. Please speak with one of our welcome team at reception or send your request to and we’ll see what we can do!
Q: How do I book a room in the Students’ Union?
A: Check out our web pages here, or get in touch with our reception: / 01970 621700
Q: How much does it cost to hire a room in the Union in term time?
A: Nothing if three conditions are met: 1. You are a current student at AU 2. The room will be used for a non-commercial activity 3.The room does not require technical setup. What if I do not meet those three criteria? External organisations: our standard rates can be found here. Current AU students: please get in touch with Matt Lukasiak; or 01970 621704

SU Shop and Online Shop

Q: What are the SU shop opening times during term-time?
A: The main shop on Penglais campus is open from 8:30am-6:00pm Monday-Friday, and 11am-5pm on Saturdays.
Q: Is the shop open over summer?
A: Yes! The shop is open 9-4 Monday to Friday up until the end of July, when we reduce our opening hours to 9-3 until September.
Q: Can I order online?
A: Yes - a selection of clothing and merchandise is available to buy online at
Q: Do you stock any vegetarian/vegan products?
A: We have a wide range of vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and halal options, including snacks, sweets, cereal bars, sandwiches and more! Ask a shop assistant and they will be happy to help!
Q: Can I use my Aber card to pay for goods?
A: Unfortunately you can only use your Aber card in university catered outlets currently.
Q: Do I get student discount?
A: The simple answer is no. As an NUS shop, we run promotions all through term time to give you money off selected products. We are also able to run offers such as meal deals through term time, giving you a cheap option for lunch on campus.
Q: Is there a charge for delivery when ordering on the phone or online?
A: Yes, there's a £4.95 standard charge for UK delivery. There's a higher charge for delivery in the EU and worldwide, depending on the weight of the item.
Q: If something shows as 'out of stock' online, can I buy it from the shop?
A: The stock online is the same as the stock in the shop, but we do place orders during term time so keep checking the site to see if the item is back in stock.
Q: When can I expect my order to arrive?
For most items, the standard delivery is 2-3 days. However, there may be a longer wait during busy periods or for personalised items.
Q: Do I have to be a student to use the website?
A: No, you can create a guest account to order from us.
Q: I haven't yet received my order. Who should I contact?
A: If you haven't received your item within 7 days of placing your order, please email and we will investigate this for you.
Q: Can I get a refund on items bought online?
A: Yes, but we will need to receive the item being refunded in the post before we can process this for you. Email for further details on where to send your item and how your refund is processed.