What is UMCA | UMCA Events | Clubs and Societies | Music & UMCA | Constitution
What is UMCA?
Aberystwyth’s Welsh Students’ Union
2017-18 President - Gwion Llwyd Williams.
- A union which enables you to learn and socialise through the medium of Welsh.
- It was founded in 1973 to protect the rights and interests of Welsh-speaking students at the University and to campaign in their favour.
- The Union's hub and office are at Pantycelyn Hall so that members can get hold of me any time! However while the Hall is being renovated, the President is mostly based in the Union!
- Over the last few years, we have ensured the University and Students' Union has a bilingualism policy, meaning the Students' Union and University produce everything bilingually and that they give equal status to the Welsh language so that it's a part of the lives of every Aberystwyth student. In addition, we provide free Welsh lessons for learners and communicate with students of other countries about the Welsh language.
- This year, we are proud to announce that UMCA membership is free of charge. Free membership will be offered to students who have sat a Welsh GCSE (First Language). These students will receive relevant correspondence as a result of their UMCA membership. They may unsubscribe at any time and UMCA will be responsible for keeping records of the membership.
- Your years as a student are all about enjoying and making lasting memories, and UMCA ensures its members' satisfaction year after year by offering a huge range of entertainment, such as trips around the Aberystwyth area to hold occasional gigs.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or come and see me in my office at Pantycelyn or in the Union.Twitter: @UMCA_