A ‘Policy’ is a document that tells an organisation what to do and allows its members to change pretty much anything to do with its structures and activities. It can also set a viewpoint, and mandate the organisation to actively campaign toward goals that benefit its members.
AberSU is governed by two different levels of policy:
Governing Documents - Constitution
- Short and simply, our Rulebook.
- The Constitution consists of a main document, supplemented by Schedules and Bye-Laws that go into more detail for specific areas of operation e.g. Council and Elections.
- Any part of these documents can be amended by submission of an Idea to Council.
You can learn more about our Constitution and how it shapes our work in the About Aber section of our website.
- General Policy governs the shorter term activities of AberSU including Officer activities and campaigns.
- Our Policy is living – we always work on active policy and encourage students to regularly review and hold us accountable for acting on our Policies.
- Policies originate as ‘Ideas’ which are passed by elected students at Council and will remain active for up to three years unless it is completed, amended or renewed. Some Policies are passed when Council refers the Idea to an All Student Vote.
- Policies can include appendixes or documents that provide more detailed information e.g. Sexual Harassment or Bilingual Policy Documents.
- General Policy cannot override the law and should align with our charitable objectives. The duty to ensure that this is the case falls to our Board of Trustees.
A large part of what the SU and our Officers do includes ensuring Policies are completed or upheld. You can read more about some of the campaigns shaped by Policies here.
Our campaigns, research and policy advance the education of Aberystwyth students and ensure their views are heard and taken seriously on campus, in Aberystwyth and across Wales.
We work with students, the University and organisations both locally and nationally to create positive change.
If you have a great idea, read what it takes to get it passed into policy here.
Here you can search for AberSU Policies; past future and present.
If you have a query regarding a Policy, please either contact the Officer Responsible as noted in the gallery or contact the Student Voice Coordinator.