Welsh Culture Officer & UMCA President
“Mared is the voice for Welsh culture & Welsh language students in Aberystwyth.”
This role focuses on promoting Welsh culture giving Aber students the opportunity to learn, speak and live the language.
About the Role:
The Welsh Culture officer and UMCA President is responsible for:
- Ensuring adequate representation of Welsh culture and the Welsh language within the Students’ Union and ensure promotion of the bilingualism policy.
- Co-ordinating activity and campaigns relating to the interests of Welsh-speakers and learners.
- Representing the needs of members in Welsh-medium Halls of Residence.
- Ensuring that AberSU is kept aware of local and national issues affecting Welshspeaking students.
- Lobbying NUS to provide adequate Welsh cultural language representation.
- Working with the Chief Executive Officers and AUSU’s senior management team to achieve and shape strategic aims and outcomes.
- Attending appropriate University Committees.
- Attending regular meetings with relevant University departments to further the needs of Welsh-speakers and learners.
University Committees/Meetings Attended:
- University Council
- Academic Board
- Governance and Compliance Committee
- Welsh Medium Provision Committee
- Welsh Language Operational Group
Below you can find a list of priorities Mared is working on this year as well as her current progress on them…
Improve the provision of Welsh language and translation services in Welsh language modules
- Create and promote an online reporting system for Welsh medium courses which have untranslated English-only lectures and materials
- Develop strong working relationship with Welsh Academic Representatives
Ensure there are more student support services available through the medium of Welsh
- Organise 2 events a term to promote the mental health needs of Welsh language students who identify as men
- Monitor the number of Welsh language students accessing student support services
Rebuild the relationship between Welsh students across all resident areas and make UMCA more inclusive to learners/2nd language students
- 8 events or mixer sessions organised
- Attend 2 meetings per term with the Residence Life Team
*denotes policy as passed democratically by Aberystwyth students. Find out more here.